Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Year's Resolution Lunch Day Six

Tonight I went out to dinner before jewelry class with Honey Jean. I remembered my camera, but forgot to put the memory card in it. I was sooooo bummed. For the record I had grilled chicken breast with melted mozzarella on a kaiser roll. I had a side order of tossed green salad (which I substituted for the french fries that come with the sandwich). And I had a diet coke, instead of my usual Thursday Bloody Mary, because I had a beer yesterday.

Please accept my apologies.
I will try not to make a mistake like that again
I am very embarrased

Here is a picture of my lunch.
I know that it's not quite the same as having a picture of my dinner, but
it's the best I can offer under the circumstances.
(I will also throw in the recipes for the salads as a bonus for my faux pas.)



Pan grilled scallops with fennel clementine salad and pickled beets.


Fennel Clementine Salad
really easy to make

1 fennel
some of the green tops
3 Clementines or a can of Mandarin Oranges in water
orange juice or
Trader Joe's Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar (super yummy!)
toasted nuts or seeds
salt/pepper

Remove the green tops of the fennel, quarter and slice the bulb.
Peel and separate the Clementines
toss together
The amount of juice or TJ's vinegar depends on how much salad you have and taste
season with salt and pepper to taste
Place in refrigerator for a few hours.
Right before serving garnish with toasted nuts and the green feathery tops separated.

Pickled Beets
4-6 warm roasted beets
water
vinegar
splenda
cinnamon stick
whole allspice berries
pepper
salt.

To roast beets remove the chard leaving about 1.5 inched, leave the tail. Wash the beets and wrap in aluminium foil. Place on a jelly roll pan and bake in an oven pre-heated to 350 for about 1 and 1/4 hours. Let cool until warm.
Remove the tail, chard and skin. I skin them under running water. Slice the beets.

Place the slice beets in a container, I use a one quart soup container. I put some water in the container and vinegar. I add splenda. I start with 3-4 packages and adjust the balance of the sweet and sour from there. Too sweet, more vinegar. Too vinegary, more splenda. Add cinnamon stick, allspice berries, black pepper and salt.
Cover, let sit in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

that's it for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment