Monday, January 17, 2011

Continuation of the Red bird weekend

When I heard that it was 20 degrees out this morning and the wind chill factor made it feel like 11, I went right back under the covers. Larry managed to convince me to go outside and I am glad that he did. We went to Central Park in search of the juvenile Red Headed Woodpecker. It was seen by the edge of Sheep Meadow not far from Tavern on the Green. We started walking on the path along side the meadow, when a flock of House Sparrows flew by. One bird landed a branch, when I saw the bill I knew that it wasn't a sparrow. When I pointed out the bird to Larry, he said he didn't believe it, it was the woodpecker.
Juvenile Red Headed Woodpecker.
The woodpecker hung around for a few minutes until this Red Tailed Hawk flew by and perched on a branch. He spooked the young woodpecker.
Because I found the target bird of the day, I went to check out the new Tavern on the Green Visitors Center. They had some pretty neat Central Park gifts.


We walked over to the feeders at the Rambles. We wanted to see the Varied Thrush that had been hanging around, but again another Red tailed Hawk spooked the birds.
We figured that this hawk had just eaten because he was hanging out and not hunting. We were told that he likes squirrels. No shortage of them in the park.

At the feeders, there were Tufted Titmice, Chickadees, Goldfinches, White Thoated Sparrows, a Fox Sparrow and a Brown Creeper. The most entertaining birds of the day were the Nuthatches.
Red Breasted Nuthatch
White Breasted Nuthatch.
We also saw a couple more woodpeckers by the feeders. They've been hiding suet in the hole in this tree.
Female Downy Woodpecker.
Red Bellied Woodpecker
We decided to take the long way back to 72nd St. Where our favorite Indian restaurant is located. I wanted to avoid walking on the icy paths and try again for the Varied Thrush. No luck with the thrush, we just missed him. I think those are the four words that every birder hates hearing the most. YOU JUST MISSED HIM.
We were lucky because on another cold morning we ventured to Central Park to see the thrush and we did. He wasn't a life bird for us, but I really wanted good pictures of him with my new camera.

We saw more Fox Sparrows by the maintenance building. While looking for the thrush, when this really tame, photogenic
Rufous-sided Towhee showed up.
He posed right front in of us and we just snapped happily away.
This is the field guide shot.

We walked over to Earthen Oven, our favorite Indian restaurant for their really good buffet lunch. That is our tradition.
I went to the gym, did 10 minutes on the rowing machine, which has been helping my knee more than any other exercise I have found. I also like rowing because my arms, neck and shoulders get a good work out also. Then I did an hour Zumba class, and a half hour Ab class.
When I got home my goal was to replace the potassium that lost sweating.
I should say perspiring, because women don't sweat, we glow.
Banana, cool whip and diet pumpkin moose.
I know it's mousse, but that looks too much like mouse and I have better memories of moose than mice. I am not called Miss Mousey Toes for nothing.
Mr. Moose and Peeve.



No comments:

Post a Comment