Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Clean Plate Rangers

I have been spending the past few days helping out over at my in-laws house.
My mother-in-law just got home from the hospital. Larry and I went over there to stay with them until things got settled. I did what I do best, shop and cook.

Here are my clean plate rangers busy working on dinner

I think the happiest of my rangers was Mom.
She didn't have to cook or clean up after the boys!

Larry is used to my cooking, and I am used to him eating everything on his plate.
There he is, just about ready to take the last bite.



Dad's appetite is legendary. He ate heartily and had seconds.

Here's Mom again.

Here are the meals that made my family so happy.
Tues, Jan 25th
Grilled Chicken Breasts with Rice mixed with onion, celery, raisins and nuts, and Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower


Wed Jan 26th
Broiled Lime and Cumin Skirt Steak with Steamed Broccoli, carrots and baked potatoes.

Thurs. Jan 27th
Ziti with fresh pasta sauce, meat balls and zuchinni in pasta sauce.

and finally
Fri Jan 28
Beef stew with steamed broccoli and baked Japanese sweet potato.

Beef Stew
3 pound cubed beef
2 onions diced
3 carrots sliced
3 stalks of celery
bottle of beer
can of diced tomatoes
can of tomato paste
1 cup of frozen peas, thawed
2 or 3 large potatoes, cut up and boiled until tender
2 or 3 bay leaves
parsley
oregano
salt/pepper
Liquid browning/seasoning sauce

In a large pot, add a little oil and brown beef with the liquid browning sauce. Remove from pot and add onions, celery and carrots. Add salt and pepper and cook until a little brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Add beer, tomato paste, can of diced tomatoes, seasoning. Bring to a gentle boil on low heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes after boiling. Add meat and cook a really low flame (heat) for a few hours. Add cooked potatoes and peas, about 10 minutes before serving.

I like making beef stew with beer. I make oxtail almost the same way. The difference is I add allspice, pickapepper sauce and hot pepper.

Larry looks pretty crazed after spending so much time back in his old bedroom.

He thinks I am nuts...
But then again, this is not a self portrait.

No comments:

Post a Comment