Saturday, January 8, 2011

The best presents come in small packages

I haven't been feel well lately. Since resting didn't make me feel better, I decided to force this to a head-make or break it. Yesterday I exercised a lot. Today I stood out in 28 degree weather (it did warm up to 30, when the sun came out) looking for a Tufted Duck in Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island.

I really wanted to see the duck. We went to 2 locations where the duck was seen earlier in the week. But of course, today, no one was able to relocate it. I was bummed on top of not feeling well.

When I got home I had lunch, a baked potato, left over sweet and sour cabbage and a couple of ounces of leftover of Korean short ribs. I was able to stay awake for a bit after lunch, but then I napped for a couple of hours. Tonight I broke one of my dieting rules. Never eat a starch for both dinner and lunch. But I was sick, so that was my excuse. I broke the rules.
Whole wheat pasta with peas sauteed with onions and Canadian Bacon.

I didn't feel like making a project out of dinner tonight. I used ingredients that were in the house. The key to using frozen vegetables is to let them thaw before using them and not to over-cook them. That is what makes them horrible and mushy. Bleech!

Whole Wheat Pasta with Bacon and Peas.
(this serves 2 or Larry)
4oz dry Whole wheat pasta prepared according to the directions, shapes work best.
1 small onion, diced
2 oz Canadian bacon. diced
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
fresh tomato, diced
light butter
grated cheese
salt/pepper

Prep the vegetables, then put up the water for pasta. Heat up a non-stick skillet for a few minutes, spray with Pam. Add onions and bacon with some salt, lower the light on the pan and let cook, while the water comes to a boil. Once the water boils, add pasta. Now add the peas to the onion and bacon. When the pasta is ready drain and return to pot.
Add butter to the hot pasta and peas, onions and bacon. Stir until the butter is melted. Then add tomatoes and grated cheese. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Wish I had a big kitchen, where I could spread out and not have to worry about making a mess-dream on Shari! We are lucky that we don't have an eat in kitchen. I actually hate EIKs. I feel like I would have to clean everything up before I sat down to eat.
But I do wish that I had more counter space, a bigger refrigerator (we had to compromise size of in order to have a frost free one, like D-UH!), and a bigger stove with different size burners.

This is all the counter space I have. Sometimes I put a big cutting board over the sink and prep things there. I usually wash the prep dishes while waiting for dinner to cook.

My stove is really small. When the old one broke I was bummed to find out that they didn't make self cleaning ones this small. The good thing is, I have a real broiler. In self cleaning stoves, the broiler is the upper part of the oven, I don't really like that.

The bane of my existence.

There is no room in there. Everything is stacked up on everything else. I can only use little storage containers. When a quart size container is half empty, the contents goes into a pint sized one. I have containers that are a 1/2 cup. Whoever says small is beautiful never tried to find something in this refrigerator.

Many years ago, I went to cooking school. The classes were given in a restaurant on the days it was closed. The one thing I loved about the restaurant's kitchen was that everything was in reach, where you needed it. In my old kitchen I bought steel storage shelves and put all my pots, pans, baking dishes, utensils, towels, measuring cups and spoons on the rack. It was a pleasure. I tried to do that in this kitchen. Considering the space, it works out great.
It's there where I need it. Yes that is a hummingbird feeder hanging from the top shelf. You never know when one of those will come in handy.

I am not allowed to buy anymore kitchen gadgets. But I really don't need any. Gadgets are not going to make you a better cook. All you need to cook well is good, fresh ingredients, the right pot or pan and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment