Friday, January 21, 2011

Fungi Parmigiano


I skipped going to the gym tonight, only because I didn't feel like walking a mile and a half in 24 degrees. The upside of me not going to the gym, is it gives me time to cook dinner tonight instead of just microwaving the Weight Watchers Lasagna that's sitting in the freezer.

I had lots of vegetables in the house that I needed to cook. Mushrooms, Brussel Sprouts, Fresh Direct Asian Coleslaw, Trader Joe's Caponata, Baby Spinach, and Kale.
What was I going to concoct tonight?

Kale and Baby Spinach Pie
*10 oz of kale, washed and cut into small pieces
*5oz of Baby Spinach
about 3 or so ounces of feta crumbled (your choice, I like French feta, it's not as salty as Greek-
but make sure that it's not cow's milk feta-blecch!)
1 onion diced
2 eggs
salt and pepper

Pre-heat oven to 350 and spray a small baking dish with Pan. I like Emile Henry 16oz lasagna dish for this, the stoneware browns the bottom and sides so there's lots of crispy parts.
Sautee the kale with a little oil and salt until fully wilted and then some, mix in the baby spinach and fully wilt. Transfer to a colander and let cool. Squeeze out as much water from the greens as you can. Mix greens with eggs, feta, diced onions, salt and pepper. Bake in oven for about 45mins.
*you can use frozen chopped spinach instead, let thaw and squeeze out all the water you can.
I like using the left overs as a filling in an egg white omelette.

Fungi Parmigiano
I love this recipe, it is so simple.
Wash mushrooms and remove the stems.
Take equal parts of grated cheese and bread crumbs,
flavor with salt, pepper, oregano, and a little bit of crushed red pepper, if you want. Combine well. Fill the cavity of each mushroom with the mixture and make a small indent. Fill the indent with a little bit of olive oil, bake in oven until the mushrooms are cooked and then place in the broiler to brown the tops to finish.
yum!

Next I had to figure out what to do with the Brussel Sprouts. I roasted them with a little salt and then transfered to my favorite Emile Henry small lasagna dish. I put a little Trader Joe's Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing on them and topped with toasted almonds slices. I put that in the oven for a few minutes just to heat up the dressing.

I also had some Fresh Direct Asian coleslaw, which was what inspired me cooking the hamburger. Tonight's dinner was a little like Thanksgiving dinner, with all the tasting great side dishes, who really wants to fill up on turkey. So to jazz up that hamburger, I topped it with Trader Joe's Caponata.

Did I leave anything out? Oh yeah, no meal would be complete with out diet pepsi.

No comments:

Post a Comment