Saturday, July 20, 2013

Low Iodine Diet Diaries/Day 6--The birth of Jer-Zi Pickles!

In the Necessity being the Mother of Invention category, tonight was the birth of Jer-Zi Pickles!  Jerry's newly harvested cucumbers. tomatoes, and peppers lovingly pickled by Shari Zirlin's water, salt, dill and garlic. Labels by Label Zirlin (naturally!).
They will be ready for eating in 3-5 days!

My diet today was better than yesterday. When I go on birding field trips I usually take my breakfast and lunch in the cooler.  Breakfast is always yogurt, fresh fruit, and Fiber One mixed together.  On the LID, that isn't possible.  There isn't much alternative. 

My view of the field trip from the Gull Tower. 

Breakfast-2 rice cakes, 2 tsp. salt free peanut butter, sugar free apricot spread and a plum. 
It wasn't enough, about an hour later I was really hungry, I needed my apple fast. 
Snack-apple
Lunch-salad, babaganoush, quiona tabouleh, chick peas, eggplant salad. Slice of Sugar Free, LID chocolate zucchini bread. 
After the trip, we made our way (as usual) to Wa-Wa, I always buy a cup of coffee with Irish Cream or Vanilla creamer. But for the next few weeks, that's a no-no.  One of the ingredients is carrageenan. I just had 1/2 of a mixed fruit salad.  

I made a turkey meatloaf for dinner tonight. 
Dinner-5.5oz turkey meatloaf, skinless baked sweet potato, and broccoli.  
Peeve making sure there are no iodine-ladened items on my plate. 


My weight is creeping up. I have been eating less meat and more veggies.  I have been really trying to limit my starches.  I don't know what potatoes are on the LID.  But on my diet they are a starch, so are the rice cakes and zucchini bread.  I am trying to limit my starches to 4 a day.  Grains and starchy vegetables, like potatoes and corn are considered starches on my diet.

I am also very weary, I am getting dizzy a lot.  I don't know if it is from the heat or being hypothyroid for the ablation, but either way, it's getting to me.  My sleep patterns are shot.  The only way I get a good nights sleep is by taking a Tylenol PM, otherwise I am up at 5am.
Also I am not used to cooking so much.  We don't eat much processed foods, but lunch and breakfasts are much easier.  I can go to the store and pick up a ready made salad, or have a low cal sandwich.

Bird Picture of the Day.
Little Blue Herons and Roseate Spoonbills. 
Ding Darling NWR, Dec.2009




No comments:

Post a Comment