Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Low Iodine Diet-Day 3-This time it's for real

Today was the first official day that I needed to be on the Low Iodine Diet (LID) for the Radioactive Iodine (RAI) Ablation I am having done on 8/1. Next I will start singing SSZ on the LID for the RAI on 8-1-2013-eee.  You have to be of a "certain age" to get that, yeah..the age of Aquarius.

Breakfast- oatmeal, hemp milk, blue berries and a nectarine. 
As noted yesterday, I put Hemp milk in my oatmeal.  It tasted okay there, but I wouldn't drink the stuff or use it for coffee.  First it's full of sugar, second it doesn't taste that good.  I wouldn't use it as a milk substitute in cold cereal either. It's going down the drain on 8/4, when this diet is over.

I made roasted apricots and plums this morning from the NY Times recipe this morning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/health/pan-cooked-chicken-scaloppine-with-spiced-roasted-apricots.html?ref=dining&_r=0

Roasted plums and apricots right out of the oven.

I am not used to cooking with so much sugar! I'm a Splenda girl!  This recipe called for honey, I substituted the butter with salt free margarine (see yesterday's post) and I didn't have ground ginger, I used ground cloves instead. 

Still stumped what to eat for lunch on this diet, I made Curried Chick Peas for tomorrow. 

This is my own recipe. 
8 oz. dried chick peas, soaked the fast way-in boiling salted water and then left in the hot water, covered for a couple of hours
1 can of Muir Glen Salt free diced tomatoes
black pepper, non iodized salt 
Frontier No Salt added Curry powder
water
1/2 tsp. baking soda. 
1/2 large onion chopped. 
oil

1)Saute onions in hot oil, until browned
2)pour the liquid from the diced tomatoes, into a 2 cup measuring cup, then add enough water for a full 2 cups, set aside
3)add the diced tomatoes. Then the salt, pepper and curry powder to taste. Stir to combine and then add the soaked chick peas.  Cook for a few minutes.
4)add the tomato water and baking soda. let boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed.  This can take a long time, over 60 minutes, closer to 90 minutes, maybe more, be patient. Don't let it burn, check and stir frequently. 
Shari's curried chick peas. 

Lunch-left over zuchinni with 1/2 cup pasta, 2.5 oz left over pork, salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette.  A slice of homemade bread with margarine
What can I tell you, I eat a lot. 

Snack-slice of chocolate zucchini bread with salt free peanut butter.
Before I left for the gym. I roasted 2 sweet potatoes and an eggplant. I might make some Babaganoush with 1/2 of the roasted eggplant, but I need lemons and parsley and I really don't feel like going to the supermarket AGAIN!!!

I did 1/2 hour of weight lighting and then a really intense hour long aqua aerobics class. 
Snack-banana
Drove home and had...
Dinner-4 oz BBQ chicken skinless breast with Mike's Sugar Free Buffalo Style Wing sauce (that my wonderful husband,lovingly prepared for me), with some of the spiced roasted apricots and frozen vegetables-not still frozen  D-UH!
Who knows how many calories I had today.  All I know is that I stuck to the Low Iodine Diet, which is the most important thing I can do right now. 

A big PS...for the most part this is how I normally eat.  

New Resources found!!! Penzey's has a ton of no salt spice mixtures. I ran out of their Shallot Pepper, since the store at Grand Central Station closed, I have to go back to ordering on line.  
here is their list...Go Crazy!

Here's the Frontier Spices List. 
Their Oganic Curry Powder Seasoning is salt free

and finally
Flipping you the bird...
Male Kirtland's Warbler...there is no more to say!
Photographed by me at Magee Marsh,  Oak Harbor, OH
in May.




No comments:

Post a Comment