Thursday, July 18, 2013

Low Iodine Diet Day 4

I made it through today. I worked all day and then spent time in the kitchen. It was a busy, busy day!

I made croutons with some of the bread that I baked.  I cut the bread into 1/2 cubes. I mixed together, some Mrs Dash Salt free seasoning, with kosher salt and olive oil.  Toss the bread in it and then baked it on a cookie sheet for about 10 mins.  I tossed them around about mid-way.  Now I have enough croutons to last this whole diet.

From the eggplant I roasted yesterday I made Babaganoush and Eggplant salad.
The Babaganoush is easy, I scoop out the insides of the eggplant and then chop with a mezzaluna.  I take the chopped eggplant, put it in a food processor bowl with the chopping blade, add tahini, lemon juice, salt, pepper and I throw in some fresh parsley.  Let it rip! Taste, adjust seasonings. I only eat a little babaganoush, at a time because the tahini is very fattening.

Eggplant salad, this is based on the Roasted Russian Eggplant salad, but not so labor intensive, and I don't like raw onions and I can't eat garlic.  Garlic is in none of my recipes, so it's up to you to use it where you want to.  I took part of the eggplant that I didn't use, mixed in grape tomatoes that were cut into small pieces and cucumber cut into small pieces.  I use those long seedless cucumbers, but you can use regular, just take out the seeds.  Mixed it up by hand and put in some balsamic vinegar.  I didn't like how it tasted, some thing was missing...so I tried something different.  There is an olive oil/vinegar store in NJ, that I **LOVE**.
Carter and Cavero.  They import the best balsamic vinegars that I have ever had.  I like the raspberry.  Today I added the Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar to the eggplant salad.  That was it. The salad was great...here is the link
https://carterandcavero.com/?SID=dt6sinv8qt6tt32onoai33j937

I had a ton of left over parsley, Larry bought me extra lemons...I think that there is some Tabouleh in my future. I went into the pantry, found the bulgar, open the bag and phew!!! it stunk!! The oils in the grain went rancid.  I still had all these ingredients...and quinoa.  Keeping the Mediterranean  theme going.  I made Quinoa Tabouleh.  Tabouleh is really simple to make. Follow the package instructions to prepare the quiona and then let it cool to room temperature.  I mixed the cooked quinoa with chopped parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  That's it.

Here's what I ate on my second official day, 4th including the 2 practice, ease into LID days.
Breakfast-Fried Egg whites, home made bread and a banana.
I got really sick of oatmeal and it doesn't hold me until lunch.  Now in my 8th year, of Weight Watchers, I haven't made an omelet with egg yolks in all that time. I missed the cheese I usually put in the omelets, that's about it.

Lunch-salad with Eggplant salad and Quinoa, and Homemade Croutons. Curried Chickpeas and left over pasta with zuchinni and tomato.   Sounds a lot of food, but it was 1/4c Quinoa, 1/2c chick peas, 1/4c pasta.

Snack-plum

Dinner-4 1/2oz hamburger with Sauteed Mushrooms in Marsala wine and Sweet and Sour Cabbage.  


I made it through another day. Not bad as days on a a restricted diet go. 

Bird Dropping of the day...

Need a lift?














1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I have Crohn’s Disease and cannot eat too many vegetables, nor “fresh” fruits (except for a few). So, using your example, I came up with a YouTube Video to help my fellow IBD Patients who may need to go through the LID. You may post this link on your web-page, if you feel it would be helpful to other IBD patients! – Paul https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqZPS4K8Co

    ReplyDelete