Sunday, July 21, 2013

Low Iodine Diet Diaries-Day 7--It's been a long week!


Finally the rains have arrived and maybe this heatwave will break.  It's been really hard for me. I am NOT a summer person.  Instead of being 98 degrees outside today, it was 92.  My weight was up again today.  I feel like all I have to do is breathe to gain weight.  But I haven't "cheated" on the LID diet and I right now that is what matters the most.

I started the day early. My hormones are so screwed up, I can't really sleep well, unless I take a Tylenol PM. I got bread started, diced all the plum tomatoes I bought, did laundry, all before 8am. I decided to give hemp milk in cold cereal a try. I didn't want to use a lot of it because it is very fattening,  full of "natural sweeteners".  Sugar by any other name is still sugar.  I have been missing cold cereal.  I bought a box of Simply Fiber at the health food store.  No salt, no sugar. Tastes like the box it's in, but it's okay for the LID and that's good enough for me. It looks like elbow macaroni made of compressed bran.

Breakfast-1c Simply Fiber, a splash of hemp milk, blueberries and pineapple. 

I went to the Lakehurst Farmer's Market and bought a few ears of corn, blueberries to freeze, Jersey tomatoes and green beans.  I was going to make creamy corn soup from Martha Shulman's cookbook, More Recipes for Health, but I really didn't want to work that hard today.  I just shucked the corn, froze the kernels and made some stock from the corn cobs and Pacific Salt free chicken broth.  It came out really good.
Snack-a piece of fresh baked bread with stewed plum tomatoes. 
Lunch, 2 1/2oz left over steak, 1/8 c. chickpeas, salad. 

Dinner was an impromptu skillet creation.  I wanted to grilledchicken thighs, but didn't thaw them in time to marinate, and then it started to rain when I wanted to grill them.  I browned them instead.  Then I de-greased the pan with dry sherry, added some gram marsala, salt and pepper and cooked onions and red bell peppers in the skillet.  When they softened, I add about 1/2c or more of the stewed plum tomatoes, let that cook a bit and then put back the chicken for the chicken to finish cooking. I also oven roasted yellow summer squash, because after I re-read the recipe for Zucchini Tian I saw it had a 45 min. prep time and needed  1 1/2hrs baking time. I didn't want to make something that labor intensive.

Dinner, 1 serving Health Valley salt free, mushroom barley soup.  1/2 chicken thigh, grilled zucchini and peppers and onions. 
No Peeve standing guard tonight.

We had a special surprise visitor today!
Casey, the cutest Yorkie I know.

Look at that face, he's adorable!!! 


Look at that face, it's adorable
American Oystercatcher
Bird of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment