Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Low Iodine Diaries-Day 10--Blogging Al Fresco

Finally it is nice enough to be sitting outside. I had the pleasure of dining on my new patio, under the big old oak tree in the backyard.  The lightning bug (or fire flies) are out and I can hardly see the keyboard by the light of the citronella candle.  But I don't care. This is what I have wanted for years and now I am happy to enjoy my space.

I am having a real hard time finding Dutch processed cocoa around here. I have another supermarket to try. I may have to wait till I am in Manhattan or maybe Brooklyn.  I found a few new foods to eat today.  My favorite salad dressing! Trader Joe's Light Champagne Vinaigrette. Unless their products state sea salt in the list of ingredients, all the salt in their branded products is plain salt. Woo-hoo!  I was disappointed to find out the the unsalted canned beans in the health food store had some weird seaweed in it.  Now I have to hydrate beans to make some chili.  I picked up some Frontier Salt Free Mexican Spice mix to use.  If I was smart I would have bought Penzey's chili powder because there isn't any salt in it.

I am having a very strange reaction to not having enough calcium in my diet.  I can tell when I need more, because it's hard for me to swallow and my thinking gets all fuzzy and forgetful.  I take a couple of Tums and it goes away.  It happened again this morning.

It's really cool to be typing this and hearing the Whip-poor-wiill calling! WHIP-POOR WILL over and over and over again.  My neighbors complain about his calling all night long, but we love it.

Breakfast-3 egg whites, 1oz homemade bread toasted. 
Snack-an apple. 
Lunch-1c. pasta, 3 1/2 oz. meatballs, salad with TJ's light salad dressing.

My computer isn't reading my disc drive for the photo card.  I have to restart the computer.
I had a really nice picture of my dinner to post.
It was taken outside, I had...
Dinner-4oz grilled chicken breast, with Mike Sugar Free Buffalo Wing Sauce, Grilled pineapple and mixed veggies. 

Another health food store find...
Bearito's salt free microwave pop corn. The only ingredient is corn! no chemistry experiment there.

I am beginning to really notice all the stuff that I consume, and all the while, thinking I am eating healthfully. Even though I am following this restricted diet for a pretty negative reason.  I think I will make some really positive long term diet changes because of it.  I have become so aware of all the crap in my food.  Granted, I am having non-dairy coffee creamer and I will make non-dairy whipped cream.  But eating that stuff is only temporary.  This experience has been a real eye-opener for me.  I consider myself lucky because I do have many more resources available to me then people in other parts of the country, I am used to being on a diet, and my husband has been so supportive. The only thing that he has complained about is the amount of dishes that need to be cleaned up after I cook.

Bird Pictures of the day
Bald Eagle- Alaska

Royal Terns

Whip-poor Will!

Cattle Egret


I re-started the computer. 
Here is my dinner picture



No comments:

Post a Comment