Friday, July 19, 2013

Low Iodine Diet Diaries-Day 5



Today was my 3rd official LID day.
I decided that I absolutely have to take my Stress Complex B+C vitamins.  I don't have food cravings and I feel emotionally calmer on them.  I am one of those that really need to take B vitamins in large doses.  The ones that I take are Kosher and are soy free, dairy free and all fish and crustacean free. So they will be okay to take.

I was also glad to read on the Thyca.org message boards, others are getting dizzy in the heat. Several times over the past few days, I stood up and got so dizzy.  I thought it was the LID and checked my blood pressure. I found out it could be caused by out of whack thyroid hormones.  The heat is supposed to break over the weekend.

I didn't cook anything today.  I ate the things that I made yesterday.  I did make some bread crumbs for tomorrow's turkey loaf.  And I went to the supermarket to get some things that we need to make pickles. My neighbor is growing cucumbers and the NY Times had a article about how to make your own sour pickles. They said that the best pickles are made with cucumbers that are just picked.  Jerry said that he is going to pick them in the morning. By the evening they will be sitting in brine on my counter.  The best pickles I ever had were wasabi dills.  I think that I may make some when this diet is over.  I love mixing pickles in my tuna fish and egg salads. The wasabi dills were great in there.  The first batch of sour pickles will be ready while I am still LID'ing. FYI the articles says that you can only use un-iodized salt to make pickles, the iodine in table salt messes up the brining process.  Pickles on LID, who would have thunk it!

Tomorrow will be my first weekend of LID. We are going on a birding field trip to Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge-Brigantine Division (A.K.A. Brig). The big challenge won't be eating, but being eaten by the Green Head Flies.

Breakfast-oatmeal, pineapple, hemp milk
Lunch-salad with the babaganoush, quiona tabouleh, and eggplant salad.  Along side 1/2 a sweet potato with 1/2c curried chick peas
Snack-1/2 rice cake with no sugar added blueberry preserves and an orange
Dinner-3 1/2 oz London Broil with grilled red peppers and summer squash. 


Peeve is guarding my dinner to make sure on Iodine sneaks in!
Bird picture of the day
OH! R.O.M.E.O, OH! R.O.M.E.O
Wherefore at thou?
(Randy Old Men Eating Out)

And Just because there are flowers in my garden (finally!)
Cross Line Skipper
ID'd by Harry Zirlin


Peck's Skipper
ID'd by Harry Zirlin

And because I am in a very good mood today because I ID'd the Peck's Skipper correctly!
Ruby Throated Hummingbird at feeder




No comments:

Post a Comment