Monday, February 21, 2011

Burrrrrding in the Burrrrrrkshires....

Help me! I have fallen behind on my blogging and I can't get up...
okay I couldn't resist that.

We have never been to the Burrrrrkshires in the winter. Mainly because it's cold. It's very cold.
But there were birds we wanted to see and we decided to brave the elements, don our winter gear and head north.

We forgot our ice cleats, which would have made the third of a mile walk up, down and up the icy driveway to Sue and Roy's house much easier. What city people we are!
After all, this was exactly the conditions that I bought the damn things for!
D-UH!
How I missed my Stabilicers this weekend.

We were watching our friend's feeder's from the warmth of their living room, when a flock of Common Redpolls-our target bird of the weekend-came to feed. We were so excited! There was one beautiful male with a pink chest. We were so happy!

The next morning it was 18 degrees in Stockbridge MA, in Washington MA, it was 9. We went out birding. I was so cold. I should have brought my flannel lined pants and heavier socks. I just was too lulled by the forecasts of the mid 20's for the area, and forget, they were talking about the highs. Oh well...seeing a flock of Bohemian Waxwings, warmed my heart. (I wished they would have warmed my fingers and toes also)

These Waxwings weren't love birds....
like these two love crazed fools!

We saw another flock of Common Redpolls by a feeder further down the road.
I was so excited to see them again. But so was everyone else in NY and NJ. There was a Common Redpoll eruption this weekend and they were reported, 15 minutes away from the house in Prospect Park, on Long Island and all over New Jersey.

Here is another shot of a waxwing. They are great looking birds.

So seeing that bird eating, reminds me that I haven't been posting my dinner pictures and my weight is reflecting my sloppy attitude toward my diet.
Here are my dinners for Feb 17 and 18th and tomorrow I will start photographing them again.

I tried to make swiss chard pancakes which didn't come out well, and that cheesy mashed cauliflower with meatloaf and tomato sauce.

On, Feb 18, I made more cheesy mashed cauliflower ( I had 2 huge heads to finish up) and grilled chicken with baby bok choy, red peppers and onions.

This weekend, even though I didn't photograph my dinners, I had so many NSV (non scale victories). I took home a huge banana nut muffin, I skipped potatoes 3 times-twice at breakfast, once at dinner), I didn't have lunch at my friends house, when they offered, because I just had breakfast an hour or so earlier. I had fish for an entree, skipped dessert, munched on fruit and had salad for dinner tonight with low fat goat cheese. All these small things hopefully will start to add up to the scale moving south again.

Another in the series of self portraits...
And here are pictures of Stockbridge, MA right after a night of snow falling.
It was a winter wonderland!








We stayed at the Red Lion Inn and had a really great weekend.
Even though, I was really cold, and there was a Redpoll eruption here in Brooklyn, I needed to get away and relax.



No comments:

Post a Comment