Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve 2009

This is a very subdued Christmas. I noticed that not many homes are decorated in the neighborhood. I walk around and there are very few holiday lights. The NY Times ran an article in the paper today about people who are just not celebrating Christmas at all. Seems to me, we have commercialized Christmas to death. Don't worry, between Americans 5 second sound bite attention spans and 10 second Alzheimer's memories-we'll start spending and running up the charge cards again. The third world will work once more and all will be well in the world.

The strangest thing I have seen this Christmas...
On Sanibel Island, Florida, a Drive-Thru Living Nativity.
C'mon! Get out of your gas guzzlers for Christ!
Only in America

Here is my other thought for the day (or really yesterday)
We should have a new punctuation mark in the English language.
It should be an upside "!".

This is why...
I reviewing a "gourmet" market that opened up in the the neighborhood in an email to my husband (see below). I was telling him that it was just like all the other "gourmet" markets in the neighborhood. (None of which I would call gourmet, but then again I have been told that I am a food snob cause any "gourmet" market that sells commercial health food products that I can buy at Pathmark, is not a "gourmet" market in my opinion) Sorry, I digress, I needed an punctuation mark that was the opposite of a "!" to put after the Eh in my description of the market to him to truly express my sentiment.

See, I have created a revenue producing idea! You would have to reprogram all the computers in the English language to have a new character in all the typefaces, all the key boards would have to change. So would all the PDA's, and all the cell phones. Think of it as the Y2K problem and the television broadcast standard change rolled into one. The government would have to issue coupons so people can go to RadioShack and buy, for a couple of dollars, a replacement keyboard! Bet'cha looking for an upside down "!" right about now...


Larry (the above mentioned husband)and Shari, on the beach, Sanibel Florida, week of 12/7


Larry and Shari, at Jamaica Bay, Wildlife Refuge, Christmas Eve 2009

Two weeks ago, I was on the beach and it was 87 degrees, today we were out birding and it was 37. What a difference 50 degrees makes!

No comments:

Post a Comment