Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Recipes

I have been so bored with what I eat lately, that I have been searching and searching for new lo-cal recipes or recipes that I can doctor to reduce calories.

The first one, Mock Mashed Potatoes, I have been avoiding making this for years because I thought that it would taste awful. Maybe my sense of taste has changed, maybe my cooking skills have improved over the years, or just maybe it was a good head of cauliflower-but whatever the case this recipe tasted great made a good substitute for mashed potatoes.

Like always, my recipes are based on the amount of ingredients that you start out with and personal taste.

One head of cauliflower, cut into florets and steamed until really soft (about 15 minutes).
Low fat milk
Light butter
salt/pepper.

I put the steamed cauliflower in my food processor with less than a tablespoon of light butter and less than 1/4 cup of low fat, and pulsed until it had the consistency of mashed potatoes. Here is where you can get creative.

I put the mixture in a small broiler proof dish, sprayed with Pam.
I grated jarlsberg cheese and romano cheese together, spread it on top of the mixture. Then sprinkled a little bit of bread crumbs over it and put under the broiler until the cheese melted and the bread crumbs browned.

Another variation would be to brown onions and serve mashed cauliflower with them.

Recipe two.
Sweet and Sour Cabbage
I never tire of sweet and sour. This one is tomato based. It's the cabbage from stuffed cabbage.
Very low calorie, very easy.
Head of cabbage 1/4'd and the base where the thick core is removed after quartered.
Take each quarter of the cabbage and make about 1/2" or less slices, it should fall apart into individual pieces or help it out.

Brown onions in some oil on a low heat with salt and pepper in a dutch oven, remove and set aside.

Add the cabbage with some salt and wilt a bit, till the cabbage softens up.
Add...
tomato sauce 16 oz
can of diced tomatoes with the sauce
ketchup (about 1/4 of a cup or more)
tomato soup (optional)
white vinegar (a couple of splashes)
Sucralose (I start with 4 packages)
salt
pepper

Simmer for an hour or more, stir occasionally.

The art of cooking is to keep tasting to balance the sweet and sour. If it is too vinegary add more sucralose and vice versa.

I love this, especially good if you take some and mixed boiled shirmp in. Yum!







No comments:

Post a Comment