Saturday, January 30, 2010

Winter

It was 14 degrees when we woke up this morning. Too cold to go out birdwatching, even with layers of clothes on. We needed milk, so I bundled up and went out and bought some. Afterwards, for the first time in ages I sat on the sofa reading a book. I haven't been reading lately because I haven't been riding the subway. I used to read for hours everyday, commuting to and from work when I lived on Staten Island. I read so much while commuting, that I did most of my reading and studying while in transit when I was in grad school. I couldn't do that now, with people talking on cell phones constantly, or because they show movies on buses or play the radio. I can't stand the proliferation of TVs. Everywhere I go, gas stations, doctor's waiting rooms, supermarket checkout lines and even the bank, there are TVs. I can't even find quiet in the bathroom-there are women who talk on the phone while urinating. All this constant audio/visual input fills my world with unwanted noise. I find it difficult to concentrate outside of my own home. A person can't be alone with their own thoughts in public any longer. I have to wonder why people are afraid of solitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment