Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ah-cost-sted

So here I am, minding my own business, merrily strolling down Montague Street, in Brooklyn Heights and within one block I am tag teamed by representatives of three different charities wanting money from me in the form of monthly automatic payments from my credit card.

The first, in their cute little green anoraks, was the boy-girl team from Greenpeace, telling me even though I am really cold right now, global warming is an issue. "DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT THE PLANET?". As my dear husband, Larry would say, "Apres moi, le deluge"

I have successfully discharged the first team only to be met by The Second. Clinging to their professional looking clip boards with backstage like ID's hanging from their necks, they actually got my attention for a split second. Lately in NY, there has been much "to do" (NYese for ado) about the drilling for natural gas around the watershed area in the Catskills, where the NYC supply of unfiltered fresh water is from. I have been to that area. It is a very highly protected area. You can't even take a canoe from one reservoir to another because you can contaminate the water with non indigenous bacteria. That's how strict they are about our water supply. Also on Dec. 23 the DEP voted against the drilling in the shale-good night, no issue. So what do these people want from me? They want me to sign up for a monthly donation to their organization, yeah right. Can you spell S-C-A-M. Give me a mirror so I can watch the Pigs fly out of my (_!_).

The last group who wanted me to part with my hard earned dollars, was Child International. I have no idea what they are about, but they preface their pleas for my credit card number by asking me, don't you care about children? Oy vey! already...as a Jewish New Yorker, it's going to take a much better constructed, more highly compelling guilt trip to get me to hand over my plastic. Nu? I guess I don't care enough about impoverished third world children. I "cleaned" one too many plates because of starving children in Europe. Somehow, my eating, of all the horrid canned spinach put in front of me, alleviated their hunger. Who knew I had such magical powers! Later for you guys...

Another Pet Peeve of mine...

The first Pet Peeve

The Suburu "Share the Love" campaign.
I will buy an new car and they will donate $250 to one of 5 charities. I ask, who's getting the tax deduction? You've increased the purchase price of my car by $250, so you can give the money that I just borrowed-to pay you-so that you can make a charitable donation and get the tax write off. Meanwhile, I have to pay tons of interest on the money that I borrowed. Hum...why don't you reduce the price of the car by $250 and I'll donate the money.

'Nuff said...

No comments:

Post a Comment